Physical Fitness Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for physical fitness professionals, athletes, trainers, and those providing health-related needs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This is not the first time i'm doing a push-up but i think this is probably the first time i'm doing it well hence the pain on my right rib. I want to know if this is normal and if it is, should i continue my daily pushup or wait till the pain is gone.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Baarn, Freakyuser, FredrikD, Lego Stormtroopr, Matt Chan Jul 27 '13 at 13:56

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on general health and medical advice are off-topic here; you should contact a qualified medical professional instead." – Baarn, Freakyuser, FredrikD, Lego Stormtroopr, Matt Chan
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The pain is in your rib bone? – Kate May 24 '13 at 9:58
How are you doing the push-up? E.g. elbows out or elbows close to the body? – FredrikD May 24 '13 at 10:11
@FredrikD, I;m not sure cos i don't know the difference but i want to assume that it's "elbows out". – Afam May 24 '13 at 12:29
If you feel something is always medically wrong, always consult a physician. Since your ribs cover such a large span, there is no way to tell what it might be without being more specific. Your: Seratus Anterior, Intercostal, Diaphragm; Pectoral; Latissimus; etc. muscles all have rib involvement. If you are a little more specific, we can try to narrow it down for you; but, (even though it doesn't sound like much of anything) I would still consult your physician. – Grohlier May 24 '13 at 13:11
+1 on @Grohlier comment. Pain is your bodies way of saying "Something is wrong". – JohnP May 24 '13 at 14:31

A very common injury during bench presses or push-ups is a small cartilage or muscle tear in either the internal or external obliques - can also happen to the anterior muscle group, which are higher but usually this is not as painful. There are a lot of reasons why including not warming up, a previous injury, movement wasn't even (one side going up or down faster than the other), turning the trunk during the chest movement... There are generally small muscles and muscle/cartilage tears do not take much action.

These will feel like a "broken rib" or a stabbing pain the ribs. Do you need to see a dr for this sort of injury? If you want. Do you have to see a dr? No. There is no treatment other than ice and rest. When I was younger and muscles weren't as developed I had this happen several times. Usually a few days before the sharp pain goes away.

share|improve this answer
You are so confident in saying that the questioner need not see a Doctor; can you explain why and how are you so confident about it? Just asking. – Freakyuser Jul 27 '13 at 6:10
Because I would put this in the category of a bruised elbow or cut my finger. Can you see a doctor? Yes. Unless you have a broken rib your dr. will not even be able to tell you exactly what is wrong. I have broken at least 10 ribs (boxed for years) and never did a dr. do anything for me except tell me a rib was broken. If you think he should see a dr then you must still be on parents medical plan. – DMoore Jul 27 '13 at 6:15
No I'm not accusing you of anything. I just wanted to know your qualification for your suggestion and more support for your answer – Freakyuser Jul 27 '13 at 7:02
@DMoore just because you have had bad experiences with your doctors that's no reason to make guesses what a medical professional will tell him. And please note that there are more countries in the world which have far better health plans available, questions and answers at fitness.SE should be applicable to the whole world. – Baarn Jul 27 '13 at 7:07
@Informaficker - I have had great experiences with doctors. I have many doctors as good friends and my life saved by a doctor. I am still very good friends with my olympic team doctor. He is the one that told me there is basically nothing they can do for rib issues (other than tell me to stop working out and a little stem). A person posting in a fitness site about rib discomfort should be told how to prevent this (warming up and building up the area) not run to their dr (who will tell them to stop working out for 3-4 weeks) and then they will have the same injury a few months later. – DMoore Jul 27 '13 at 16:41

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.