Physical Fitness Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for physical fitness professionals, athletes, trainers, and those providing health-related needs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While playing squash 4 weeks ago, I made a false step and felt a snap in my hamstring. There was no immediate pain associated to it. However, when it cooled down, it made me limp a bit.

From what I read on the net, this is maybe more than a pull, but not a severe tear.

I've rested for the past 4 weeks, and I'm not sure it has healed. When I stretch it, I feel a sort of 'knotted' muscle sensation right above the knee on the backside. The pain from stretching is a bit more acute than what I would feel while stretching my healthy hamstring. However, I can almost achieve normal mobility with it.

How can I tell the hamstring is healed, and the pain I feel is not simply coming from the fact that the leg was injured and inactive for 4 weeks, thus being harder to stretch ?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by JohnP, FredrikD, Tonny Madsen, Lego Stormtroopr, Greg Jan 13 '14 at 3:36

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on general health and medical advice are off-topic here; you should contact a qualified medical professional instead." – JohnP, FredrikD, Tonny Madsen, Lego Stormtroopr, Greg
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This is too medical to fit the scope of this site; please review the FAQ. – Greg Jan 13 '14 at 3:37

You can't tell, and, nor can we. Only a trained professional can advise you on the extent of the trauma to the muscle. Having said that, you should let your pain level guide you to amount and extent of the activity as you ease back into it. Ideally you would have progressed through some sort of rehab program to strengthen the injured area.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.