From the StrongLifts book:
Never jump straight into your work weight, warm-up first. As an example, let's say your work weight for the Squat is 135lbs. Then here's how your training would look like...
- 2×5 45lbs => 2 sets of 5 reps with the empty Olympic bar
- 3 x 90lbs => 1 set of 3 reps with the 45lbs bar + 22.5lbs/side
- 5 x 135lbs => first set of 5 reps with your work weight
- 5 x 135lbs => 2nd set of 5 reps with your work weight
- 5 x 135lbs => 3rd set of 5 reps with your work weight
- 5 x 135lbs => 4th set of 5 reps with your work weight
- 5 x 135lbs => 5th and final set of 5 reps with your work weight
I'm a complete newb, so wondering if anyone could give me a more general way to warm up. Like, you start with empty bar, then add how much, how many times, until you reach the target? And also, do you do this for just the first squat exercise, or do you warm up similarly for the 2 exercises coming after that as well? And if so, should you start with the empty bar each time? Or?
Just looking for easier, more general rules I can follow as I'm a total beginner and the examples in the book was a bit too specific for me to be able to pull something general from them.