Physical Fitness Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for physical fitness professionals, athletes, trainers, and those providing health-related needs. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I do a lot of chest exercises, and I am worried I am not doing enough upper back exercises to balance this out. Predominantly I am doing chair dips, bench press, dumbbell flys, and push ups to target my chest.

What types of exercises should I do for my upper back to balance out these gains in my chest?

share|improve this question
For your bench press and dumbbell flys, are you doing them both flat bench? Any incline/decline work other than the dips? – JohnP Oct 9 '12 at 20:52
@JohnP Press is on flat bench, flys are on incline. The only other decline exercise I do is decline push ups. – Moses Oct 9 '12 at 21:46
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Pulling exercises.

Chin-ups, pull-ups, bent-over barbell rows, Kroc (one-arm dumbbell) rows, and body rows are all fine choices for working the upper back as a way to balance out a surfeit of pushing exercises.

share|improve this answer
With regards to working the back, does it matter if it is an upright or bent over barbell row? – Moses Oct 9 '12 at 20:11
@Moses I meant bent-over. Upright rows might be useful too, but I've never tried them and am not sure. – Dave Liepmann Oct 9 '12 at 20:13
Upright rows will emphasize your upper traps and deltoids (ie. your shoulders). – Nick Oct 9 '12 at 20:44
Like Dave L mentioned, pulling movements. Among his list of rows you could add seated rows on a cable machine. – user4434 Oct 11 '12 at 2:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.