I have a specific fitness goal that I want to achieve, and I wanted to take the opinion of some Fitness.SE members to ensure that I'm going in the right direction, and if not, what steps should I take to rectify it.
Goal: Reduce fat to an acceptable percentage of body weight (currently 23.6% on a 150 lb body weight, aiming to bring it down to 10-15% depending on my genetic potential), before embarking on a muscle-gain program (as I've read that its difficult to do both at the same time!)
Plan: I've started following the C25K program for running, and would be finishing it after 6 weeks (am in 3rd week now). Once I "graduate" from the program, I intend to run 5K 3 days/week, in the evening. I have also started keeping a "food log" (using the LoseIt app), which also keeps track of my exercise calories. Using this website (do let me know if there's a better/more accurate one), I've determined what my ideal caloric requirement should be (in order to lose weight @1 lb/week), and am devotedly keeping to that target.
Questions: There are quite a few of them, but due to the nature of my query, I can't split them into multiple separate ones without repeating a lot of the above info:
- Does running 5K@3 days a week (for at least 6 weeks before I look for some kind of change) constitute a good exercise plan for losing fat? I've read multiple articles on the net regarding the frequency/duration of running for fat loss, and I'm a bit lost on the kind of contradictory infos that I have gotten on a routine Google search!
- In case the answer to 1 is no, what other activities should I supplant my routine with? More cardio (on the same day/intervening days) using a different activity, or longer bursts of runs? I'm scared of injuring my back/knees by running too much, hence wanted to be sure.
Diet - According to this link on the FDA website, my diet should be limited to (based on a 2000 cal daily req, which I'd scale down to my caloric budget) :
- >= 300g Carbs (>25g Fibers included in that)
- Total Fat <= 65g, with Saturated Fat <= 20g
- Sodium <= 2400 mg
- Significantly, doesn't mention much about proteins, so at a loss there!
Would this kind of a diet help me to lose fat while I'm running? If not, what should be the limits I should strive to in each of the food categories (if thats too much to ask, what should I be focusing on the most to ensure I don't take too much/too little of it) ?
- Height : 5'10" (1.78m)
- Weight : 150 lb (68 kg) (Fat % = 23.6% using a handheld BIA device)
- Gender : Male
- Age : 27
TL;DR: Ideal combination of diet/running to lose fat?