It all depends on the intensity, the duration, the frequency and your goals.
- What is/are your goal(s): gain weight, lose weight or maintain the weight?
- How long is your workout?
- How intense is your workout?
- How often do you workout?
By the way, that is why they all called "theories" because they may work for some people, but may not. The truth is that you need to figure out the 4 questions that I presented above.
Think about it! Olympic swimmers and sprinters eat differently than us. These two scientific sample meal plans should give you some ideas regarding your question.
Real quick tips:
- If you train harder, you will need more complex carbs.
- If you train longer, you will need more complex carbs.
- If you train more frequently, you will need more complex carbs.
- If you want to gain muscle with weight lifting, yes you will need both proteins and complex carbs (energy).
- Try reading this plan from Greatist. But don't forget that if you can't answer the 4 questions that I posted above, then it's going to be tough to assist you regarding your dieting plan.