Would one combined with a scale be sufficient? Or is better to measure on other points?

Is the accuracy about the same for all scales?

One thing I really need is something that stores or transmits the information, so i don't have to note it down everything.

  • The storing/transmitting thing is gonna be VERY hard - I cant say I know of anything that would do that. Is writing 2 numbers down such a big effort?
    – K.L.
    May 6, 2013 at 11:09
  • The tiny Fitbit does that (And they also have this kind of balance)
    – Olav
    May 6, 2013 at 16:19
  • 1
    I have a withings scale. I'm not certain how accurate it is (no handheld sensor) but I used it for tracking a trend over time. It sets up on your wifi and links automatically with their website. withings.com
    – user5324
    May 6, 2013 at 16:52

1 Answer 1


If you are going to use a body composition monitor, look for one that includes the upper and lower body. If you get one combined with a scale that you step on, get one that includes the hand held sensor so that your upper body is included in the measurement.

Accuracy depends. A monitor can over-estimate or under-estimate, but if you are using it to track your progress, ie are you improving over time, then they can be a useful tracking device.

Units do have memory for different periods of time such as up to 90 days.

For more information on measuring body composition, you will find a lot of helpful information here: How can I calculate my body fat percentage?

  • I think handheld sensors might not be accepted in the bathroom :-)
    – Olav
    May 6, 2013 at 22:28
  • So i might buy a separate instrument later.
    – Olav
    May 7, 2013 at 22:38
  • About accuracy- the important thing is to measure small changes in short times. But my assertion is that for instruments measuring the same way it is probably not a big difference
    – Olav
    May 7, 2013 at 22:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.