From last 6 months, I started with a knee issue and I find gradually more and more joints like hips, shoulder, ankle becoming noisy (as in popping/ snapping /noises like rubbing of cartilage) and sometimes accompanied by pain and it is becoming scary.

I don't have ortho/PT specializing in sports medicine in my place and the rest haven't been of much help. One PT however did tell I have muscle imbalance, which I realize I do because of thoroughly unbalanced training and neglect in stretching. But again he didn't mention which muscles and said I can do all kind of exercises I want, that I actually can't. I can't do exercises involves running, twisting and jumping and fast movements as in martial arts.

I was wondering if starting a balanced barbell training under a trainer and stretching sufficiently a good idea. I mean is that what people with joint issues do when they can't get medical help due to whatever reason.

It might look like paralysis by analysis but I started treatment with a PT with open mind and ended up worsening pain in my knees. This has made a skeptic out of me... I'm not sure if this kind (unspecific?) question is entertained is this forum.


I think it would be a good idea for a physio to have a look at you to see if you truly have a muscle imbalance. If you can afford to pay, see if you can find a sports physio. If not, go to the doctors, and explain that it has been suggested that you have a muscle imbalance and ask them to refer you to a physio.

If you have an imbalance the physio would be able to tell you the exercises to do to strengthen the muscles that need strengthening.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.