My situation is I am really trying to get very fit and loose weight. When I am home, I am doing really well. I follow a pretty extreme diet, which basically has become a lifestyle. All is well, and that works really well, and I can maintain the weight I want.
Now, problem is I travel a lot. This year it is more than 2.5 months, distributed over multiple times a year. And you can do a lot of damage in 3-4 days (trust me, I am an expert).
When I travel I will consistently eat unhealthy. Extremely unhealthy. Yes, we are talking donuts, sandwiches, ice cream, burgers, pasta and even orange juice!
The problem arises in the following ways:
- I find it extremely difficult to find low-carb / slow-carb food in most cities (sitting in New York airport right now - one **** of a sandwich town!)
- I find it extremely difficult to eat healthy in airports, especially because I hate being hungry. This is also a problem when travelling 16-20 hours+
- I enjoy the plane food quite a lot
- The second I enter a plane, my brain suddenly goes: ahh, you are away from home, let's go buy a donut! make it two!
- Conferences and similar: breakfast buffet full of bread, danishes and cake.. simply to tempting
This is both a problem when visiting a city for some days for a conference, but also when I am sitting 3 weeks on a beach in the Philippines.
I know this is a difficult question, but:
- Is there any best practice, on how to maintain a healthy diet and even loose weight on a vacation?
- Any best practice to stop the brain from thinking "Yay, vacation!", every time I enter an airplane?