I am a long-term, high-frequency consumer of soft drinks specifically Coca-Cola and Pepsi.
In 2015 I am resolved to kick the habit once and for all but it is proving challenging. My average daily consumption is between 2 and 2.5 litres (70-100 ounces).
A typical daily routine would be -
- Strong coffee with 2 x sugar
- 8am can of cola on the drive to work
- 11am can of cola to prevent flagging/thirst
- 12.30 can of cola with lunch
- 3pm can of cola due to extreme drowsiness
- Possibly 1,2 or even 3 cans of cola in the evening
I don't want to substitute the drinks for diet or lite or max versions. I want to go as sugar-free as possible.
What effects, both positive and negative, will I see in the immediate short term once I stop consuming these drinks and how can I best control the cravings?
I feel like I concentrate better after consumption, my creativity and cognitive functions felt higher and more productive. However I also find myself becoming more animated and talkative within meetings/around senior members of staff.
- I have been tested for diabetes; I am clear but wish to remain that way
- I am 32 years old with fairly sedentary job role (Agile ScrumMaster)
- I am quite active; daily running and regular long distance hiking