The last 6 months I've done
- slow extensive runs of ± 60min, 3x / week, (HR between 145 - 155bpm)
- strength training 3x / week
- 1x/week martial art (BJJ/Muay Thai/MMA) training (technique+sparring), so without doubt HR +180bpm.
The slow extensive runs were to improve basic condition. Strength training; to improve overall fitness during sparring. At certain point before change of plan, my resting HR was between 49 and 55. Changing the plan to:
- 4x / week intensive training such as martial art technique and sparring / cross-training
- 1x / week 60' slow ext. run (HR: 145-155)
Now, my resting HR stays between 54 and 60. Exercise generally lowers the resting heart rate. Does HIIT have the opposite effect?