I have a fitness tool which is somewhat between barbell and dumbbell. I don't know what this is called.

It is a bar that is 60cm (24 inches) long and is supposed to hold a steel plate or plates to add weights. It should be held by 'two hands' but is too short to be called 'barbell.'

What is this called?

  • 2
    60cm is quite short short are you sure it's not a dumbbell? do you have pictures?
    – Aequitas
    Jan 5, 2016 at 3:04
  • google.ee/… something like this?
    – s3v3ns
    Jan 5, 2016 at 19:23
  • maybe big boy bars however you say they should be held by two hands these are clearly meant for one hand.
    – Aequitas
    Jan 5, 2016 at 21:13

2 Answers 2


It could just be a short barbell. They're usually used for exercises like straight bar curls which require a barbell but not necessarily long ones since you don't have to use a rack like you would for squatting or pressing/bench pressing, and can be done without a wide grip.


I made 2 of these to use for dumbbell squats. It allows the weights to clear my knees going up and down. So the bar is a one handed thing.

  • But what is the name?
    – Sean Duggan
    Mar 21, 2016 at 16:06
  • Post a photo. Is it home made?
    – Jon robert
    Mar 23, 2016 at 15:17
  • You may have intended to post that comment to the main question...
    – Sean Duggan
    Mar 23, 2016 at 15:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.