I've been working out for a little over a year now. I'm not in great shape, but I do believe I have a better-than-average diet.
My question is how I can get my bench press and pull ups to increase. Right now I'm maxing at ~190-200lbs. I'm not happy with it at all, almost all of my other weights have gone up, I can squat 375lbs max, and haven't dead lifted in a few weeks because I don't like all the pressure on my knees from squatting and dead lifting heavy as well as running, but last time I maxed it was 385lbs.
I can only do ~5 wide grip pullups without a 20-40 pound boost from a machine, this is with full stretch, not going halfway down and back up.
I weigh ~195 and I'm 5'11". I'm not happy with the amount of muscle in my chest and back and I've been pretty much stuck with these two workouts for months, I just don't have time to do a whole lot of research on the topic.
Last semester I was in school and I was running anywhere from 12-20 miles/week and I stopped doing that because I didn't want to lose muscle. I'm pretty busy now so I do about 1-2 days of sprints a week for about 10 minutes total.
If I'm missing any additional information please let me know.
- I do 3-4 sets of bench to start 135x12, 155-165x10-12, 185x3-4, 135x10-12
- 3 sets of medium crossover flys (30x12, 35x12, 40x10-12), 3 sets of low crossover flys (25x12, 30x12, 35x10-12) and 3 sets of high crossover flys (25x12, 30x12, 35x10-12)
- Incline dumbbell press (45x12, 50x8-12, 55x6-10)
- JUST BEGAN doing bench for burnouts. I'll put on 25-45 on each side and do as many as I can. Usually this is 135x4-6, 115x4-6, 95x10-15.
- Pull-ups on a pull-up counterweight machine. 40 counter x 12 wide-grip, 30 counter x 10-12 wide-grip, and 20 counter x as many as I can 6-10 then switch to a pegged grip and finish
- Lat pull-downs 115x12, 135x12, 155x6-10
- Standing Bent-Over Rows with Bench Bar. 115x12, 125x12, 135x6-10
- Standing Lat Pulldowns. 50x12, 55x12, 60x12
- Back Extensions. Body-weight x 30, Body-weight x 25-30, Body-weight x 15-25
Sometimes I add an additional workout or two to these, but that varies week-by-week if I do at all. It widely depends on time availability, but this is generally what I hit each week.