I've been going to the gym for about a year. The last 3 months I decided to make my training routine a bit more, upper- back/ traps/ shoulder intensive. I basically am doing full body 3 times a week. On every training day after worm up I started with overhead pressing. The problem is that about 2 weeks ago i got injured. Started feeling pain from my neck area going trough my left shoulder. When I run my fingers trough my upper part of my spine I am feeling pain. My question is firstly is this due to bad form in your opinion or just the overloading I've been doing to my upper back. Second should I try and wait out the pain to disappear on its own or should I go see a doctor?

Thanks in advance!

  • 4
    Go see a doctor.
    – John
    Commented Dec 13, 2016 at 12:42
  • This will probably get closed since we're not doctors (well, most of us aren't). Having said that, I'd go for a decent sports massage and make sure you're doing enough upper back pulling work.
    – Dark Hippo
    Commented Dec 14, 2016 at 8:39
  • @DarkHippo - Recommending a course of treatment without any visual or other clues aside from "Wow my neck hurts" is fairly dangerous. Hope the sports massage doesn't exacerbate an actual injury.
    – JohnP
    Commented Dec 15, 2016 at 15:19
  • @JohnP A good sports masseur would be able to diagnose the issue and know what to do to avoid exacerbating it. In my experience a doctor will only tell you to rest if the injury is anything muscular.
    – Dark Hippo
    Commented Dec 19, 2016 at 9:08

1 Answer 1


I would take it easy, or do different exercises, until the pain goes away. If it persists, then I would go see the doctor. The impact from running can aggravate neck injuries. Stick to lower body exercises and no impact exercises for a week and see how you feel. If you are ready to re-introduce upper body strength exercises then, start with exercises where your hands stay below the shoulders (seated row, push ups... nothing overhead)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.