I am in the process of beginning training for an Olympic distance triathlon in September. I have a good routine set-up for that which will involve six days of training per week (swim, cycle, run).
What I would also like to achieve in the process is to put on some muscle mass. I know that training for a triathlon is not really conducive to muscle mass gain, but I see no reason why incorporating some weight training will see at least a small amount of mass gain.
With this in mind, I have the following routine:
- Chest: Decline push ups, incline push ups
- Shoulders: Upright row, shoulder press, rear deltoid raise, shrugs
- Arms: Bicep curls, tricep extensions, palm-up wrist curls, palm-down wrist curls
Each will be performed with dumbbells (adjustable up to 40lbs) with sets of about 3x12.
Will this build much mass? Bear in mind I am starting essentially from scratch with regards to weight training.
- Weight - 70kg
- Height - 6'1"
- Sex - male
- Age - 20
- Goal - upper body mass gain (in particular arms)
- Injuries - injury free
- Diet - very good (whole foods, majority plant based)
Current level of fitness:
- Run 1x per week (10k, p.b. 55 minutes)
- Cycle 3x per week (50k)
Access to gym:
Not currently, although I can join.