I guess I can say it is widly known to change your workout routine from time to time (may that be to focus more on certain muscles, hit muscles a little different, rule out muscle imbalances or simply to have a new and fun routine).
To give an example, I'm talking about switching e.g. BB Bench Press, OHP or Squats (for simplicity referred to as variant A in the following) with exercises like DB (Incline) Bench Press, DB OHP or Lunges/Split Squats (variant B).
Now when trying to implement said switches in exercises, which of the two following workout routines (obviously simplified) would be more efficient in terms of muscle gains and hypertrophy considering the mentioned above reasoning:
- Push Day 1 (in a Push-Pull scenario) consists of training with exercises of variant A
- Push Day 2 in the same week however consists of training with exercises of variant B
- following this routine for let's say 4 months or so
- both Push Days consist of training with exercises of variant A for about 2 months
- after that Push Days consist of training with exercises of variant B for another 2 months (to match that 4 months of routine 1)
Obviously in order to compare these two routines properly we assume the volume and training intensity are the same aswell as how often we train.