During a bench press, on the way down, my spotters tell me that my barbell is coming down a bit slanted, which I think means that I have uneven shoulders / back.

What can I do instead to correct this?

I am thinking switching over to dumbbell chest presses as well as shoulder presses -- and avoid the barbell altogether.

Should I see a chiropractor? I rather not spend money if I don't have to.

1 Answer 1


Nothing you’ve said suggests that you have uneven shoulder or back muscles.

While I’m a fan of dumbbells, I don’t see that as a solution because it has the potential to exasperate the problem by allowing your arms to move even more freely. What you need to work on is your form. Find a mirror to practice and exercise in front of and watch yourself. Record yourself, take notes at how it feels, and continually work with the feedback you get from these sources.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.