I want to increase my 1RM on bench press. I lift about 2 years. At the beginning it went great and fast. But when I reached 220 lbs it stopped. It hasn't changed in the last year.
- I go bench press once a week, after it some dumbbells and push ups. Ussualy 3-5 series. 1-10 reps and ~2 min pause on bench press. 5-15 reps on another exercises.
- Sometimes I go triceps after chest workout (2 exercises), sometimes I go arms separately
- I have a good technique. I have a right diet (enough macro/micronutrients and calories).
- I don't feel overtrained. I have deload weeks sometime.
- No, I don't try my 1RM every training.
I tried to lift like this:
- week: deload
- week: 12+ reps
- week: 8-12 reps
- week: 5-8 reps
- week: 2-5 reps
- week: 1RM test
With adequate weights of course.
A friend advised me to focus on triceps. So I started to train triceps harder with bigger weights, mainly dips. I also tried eat more and supplement creatine. Nothing helped.
Overall, it is about 16 series on chest, 12 series on triceps and 4 series on front shoulders per week.
On pull exercises my strength is growing. Slowly but surely.
So how to increase strength on bench press? Can you give me some tips, how to overcome my stagnation? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I try some training program?