What chest exercises are available for people who don't have access to a pull-up bar or a bench/barbell? Are there any specific exercises that stand out as extremely good?

  • Dips and pushups. How about fly exercises with (improvised) dumbbells? Feb 16, 2012 at 1:25
  • yeah do you have dumbbells ?
    – Greg
    Feb 16, 2012 at 13:19
  • @Greg Yes, I have several dumbbells ranging 8 - 50 lbs.
    – Moses
    Feb 16, 2012 at 16:07
  • @TheChaz Your comment would make a good answer. Feb 16, 2012 at 16:52
  • 1
    Pull-ups are a chest exercise? I assume you mean either pull-up bar dips or muscle-ups ON a pull-up bar. Apr 1, 2012 at 20:41

4 Answers 4


By request...

I would recommend

  • dips (which can be done with various arrangements of common household furniture, or on a counter-top)
  • pushups, of which there are MANY kinds/varieties/ranges of motion
  • fly exercises with your (improvised) dumbbells.

Wide Push-Ups; one of the best compound exercises available yet will isolate the width of the chest more so than a Close Push-Up. Combine both Wide/Close to target the majority of your chest.


Look at this : http://scoobysworkshop.com/chest-exercises/#pushups

There is plenty of good chest exercise in their, only requirement is dumbell ;)


I agree with what others have suggested. In addition, Pullovers are a great exercise for both the chest and back, done with dumbbells or a barbell. I regularly incorporate them into my chest training. There are several variations - flat bench/decline bench, and bent or straight arm.

Dumbbbell or Kettlebell Floor Presses are an oft-forgotten cousin of the much more popular bench press, and as the name suggests do not require a bench.

You could try flyes one-armed to test your stabilizing muscles and independently work both sides, personally I have found one-armed flyes to be very beneficial.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.