I do a lot of chest exercises, and I am worried I am not doing enough upper back exercises to balance this out. Predominantly I am doing chair dips, bench press, dumbbell flys, and push ups to target my chest.

What types of exercises should I do for my upper back to balance out these gains in my chest?

  • For your bench press and dumbbell flys, are you doing them both flat bench? Any incline/decline work other than the dips?
    – JohnP
    Oct 9, 2012 at 20:52
  • @JohnP Press is on flat bench, flys are on incline. The only other decline exercise I do is decline push ups.
    – Moses
    Oct 9, 2012 at 21:46

1 Answer 1


Pulling exercises.

Chin-ups, pull-ups, bent-over barbell rows, Kroc (one-arm dumbbell) rows, and body rows are all fine choices for working the upper back as a way to balance out a surfeit of pushing exercises.

  • With regards to working the back, does it matter if it is an upright or bent over barbell row?
    – Moses
    Oct 9, 2012 at 20:11
  • @Moses I meant bent-over. Upright rows might be useful too, but I've never tried them and am not sure. Oct 9, 2012 at 20:13
  • 2
    Upright rows will emphasize your upper traps and deltoids (ie. your shoulders).
    – Nick
    Oct 9, 2012 at 20:44
  • 2
    Like Dave L mentioned, pulling movements. Among his list of rows you could add seated rows on a cable machine.
    – user4434
    Oct 11, 2012 at 2:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.