I've been following an online 12-week program for power-lifting and strongman training. The program weights are designed around your 1RM.
Each week the program increases the weight and if the past set felt fairly comfortable to me I've increased it by an additional 2%. Every week so far I've felt very confident with my sets, so I've added that additional 2%.
This week I started week 6 and the workouts have changed slightly. The previous flat bench press has now become inclined bench press and for the life of me I could not complete a single prescribed set. The calculated weight for the incline bench press was lower than flat bench but even with that I couldn't complete 2 reps for the 5 x 5.
So, I'm wondering what I should do now. I could:
- Do nothing, continue to next week, power through, it was just a bad day.
- Continue to next week without the additional 2% increase but with the program's standard weight increase.
- Continue to next week but decrease my bench 1RM so that the program weight is lower.
- Re-do week 6 at this weight until I can complete the set.
- Re-do week 6 with a decreased bench 1RM.
My question is how should one approach a failed set in a strength-training program?