Long story short.
I've been exercising for 4 months (running 20 minutes/day and dumbbell lifting, both things 5-7 times per week) and I've lost 6kg (~13lb); I was pretty proud of the outcome (mainly because I wasn't expecting that much weight reduction for this light workout) but after checking my BMI I'm still right on the overweight border (24.9BMI) and still 6kg above my ideal weight.
So my questions are, in order to achieve my ideal weight:
- Am I doing the right amount of exercise but I need more time?.
- I need to exercise more?
- Are my workout routines correct or there's something I need to change?
Starting four months ago:
- Running routine: 20 minutes every day; at first it was 4 days per week (because I ran out of breath pretty easily) but now I'm doing 5-7 days per week and I'm starting to feel like 20 minutes is not long enough even sometimes (specially if the previous day I didn't run) I don't even break a sweat.
- Running hours aren't regular: whenever I go out to run I go at different time but in the 6PM-9PM range.
- After running, I'm lifting dumbbells, 200 Hammer Curls and 200 Floor press in alternating series of 25.
For the last 20 years:
- I'm sitting almost all day long: at my workplace, in my car, at home.
- Messed up sleeping routine: 5-6h from Monday to Friday and 9-10h Saturday and Sunday.
- I've been having a daily alcohol intake, between 1-2 can of beer per day (I've reduced it to 1-2 cans of beer per week when I started to exercise).
- I didn't take any care of the kind of food I was eating, not even sticking to a time Schedule for my meals but for the last 2 years I reduced my meat intake switching it to legume; I still ocasionally eat meat, mainly chicken.
I reduced my weight in 6kg (~13lb) from 77kg to 71kg, I always take the measurements with light clothes and without shoes. Being my height 169cm my BMI is right on the limit of overweight.
I wasn't controlling my weight until the last 6 weeks so I don't know at what pace it was falling, but for the last weeks it was decreasing from 74kg to 71kg steadily, after reaching the 71kg mark I'm struggling to make it fall further.
I know that the BMI doesn't take into account the muscle/fat ratio and I've been told that fat is lighter tan muscle, but I seriously doubt that most of the weight I reduced became muscle.
My ideal weight seems to be on the 65kg mark, but it doesn't look like my body wants to hit that mark, so I'm wondering if that "ideal weight" is ideal at all, or maybe I just need to change my excercise routine or I might need more time to achieve the goal. I'm not looking for a six pack nor looking for a toned body, I just want to loose some weight.